11/19/2020

What qualifications do you have to laugh at others (五十步笑百步)

 What qualifications do you have to laugh at others (五十步笑百步)

 

During the Warring States Period in China, the king of the Wei Kingdom had a conversation with a famous thinker (Meng Ke).

The king asked (Meng Ke). There is one thing that I feel very puzzled. So I want to ask you.

 

I govern my kingdom very carefully.

If there is a disaster in the kingdom, I will immediately resettle the victims.

If there are people living in difficulties in the kingdom, I will help them immediately.

 

I believe I am doing well, and I am better than the kings of other kingdoms around me.

But I did so well, why no one wants to immigrate to my kingdom.

 

(Meng Ke) told a story.

Suppose today, our Wei Kingdom is fighting against the armies of other kingdoms.

A few hours later, we were at a disadvantage, so our soldiers began to retreat.

 

Among these retreating people, one person stepped back 50 meters. He looked back and saw that a companion had stepped back 100 meters away.

He laughed at this companion. He said. You are so timid, you have to be brave.

 

(Meng Ke) asked the king. My king. Do you think his behavior is reasonable?

The king was very angry when he heard that, and he replied (Meng Ke).

This person is not qualified to laugh at his companion. Because he also retreated.

He should charge forward bravely and face off against the enemy.

 

(Meng Ke) answered. My king, you are right.

In my opinion, you are like this person who has stepped back 50 meters.


You just go for disaster relief and relief passively. Compared with other kingdoms, its not much better.

You should be more active to create a better living environment for the people.

 

This idiom is used to describe when a person ridicules others for making a mistake, he does not realize that he has also made the same mistake.

 

Dear friend, what inspiration or thoughts did you have after hearing this story.

When you blame others, do you first review your own behavior? If you were this king, how would you be more active to create a better living environment for the people?

I hope this story will give you some new gains.

 


                                                          此圖片來自百度百科


 

20201120五十步笑百步(What qualifications do you have to laugh at others)

 

中國的戰國時代,魏王國的國王與一位著名的思想家(孟軻)兩個人對談。

國王問(孟軻)。有一件事情,我覺得很疑惑。所以想請問您。

 

我很用心治理我的王國。

萬一王國境內有災禍,我會立刻會安置災民。

萬一王國境內有人民生活困難,我也會立刻救助這些人民。

 

我相信我做得很好,我比周圍其他王國的國王都好。

但是我做的那麼好,為何沒有人想要移民到我的王國呢。

 

(孟軻)說了一個故事。

假設今天,我們魏王國與其他王國的軍隊正在對戰。

幾個小時之後,我們處於劣勢,所以我們的士兵們開始向後撤退。

 

在這些正在撤退的人當中,有一個人向後退了50公尺,他回頭一看,看見有一個同伴已經退後到了100公尺之外。

他就嘲笑這位同伴。他說。你真是太膽小了,你要勇敢一點。

 

(孟軻)問國王。我的國王啊。請問你覺得他的行為是合理的嗎。

國王聽了很生氣,他回答(孟軻)

這個人沒有資格嘲笑他的同伴。因為他自已也撤退了。

他應該勇敢向前衝鋒,與敵人正面對決。

 

(孟軻)回答。我的國王啊,你說的沒錯。

在我認為,你就像是這位後退50公尺的人啊。


你只是消極地去賑災與救濟,跟其他王國相比,好不到哪裡去啊

你應該更加積極的去為人民創造更好的生活環境才對啊。

 

這句成語被用來形容一個人譏笑別人犯錯誤時,他沒有發現自已也犯了一樣的錯誤。

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你在指責別人的時候,會先檢討自己的行為嗎?若你是這一位國王,你會怎樣更積極的去為人民創造更好的生活環境呢。

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...