2/17/2021

Now is the best time to learn(炳燭而學)

 Now is the best time to learn(炳燭而學)

 

During the Spring and Autumn Period of China, the king of the Jin Kingdom was having a conversation with a blind minister.

The minister's name is (Shi Kuang).

 

The king said to him.

I am 70 years old and I still want to study, but I think it is too late at this time.

 

(Shi Kuang) answered.

At this time, do you think it is too late? You can light a candle.

 

The king answered.

Are you kidding me. What I mean is that I am too old, I don't mean it's already night.

 

(Shi Kuang) answered.

How dare I make a joke with you. You are the king of our kingdom and I am just a blind man.

I say this because I have heard that

 

When a person learns as a teenager, the benefits he gets are like the rising sun.

A person learns in middle age. His benefits are like the sun at noon.

When a person studies in his later years, the benefits he gets are like lighting a candle at night.

 

Although the light of the candle is not as bright as the sun,

But when we are walking in the dark, just light a candle to let us see the road ahead clearly.

 

The king nodded and said.

You are right, I will start learning.

 

This idiom is used to remind us that as long as we are willing to learn, age is never a problem.


Dear friend, what inspiration or thoughts did you have after hearing this story.

How old are you now? Do you give yourself many reasons to delay your study plan?

I hope this story will give you some new gains.

 



                                                              此圖片來自維基百科




炳燭而學(Now is the best time to learn)

 

中國的春秋時代,晉王國的國王跟一個瞎眼的大臣正在對話。

這個大臣的名字叫做(師曠)

 

國王對他說。

我的年紀已經70歲了,我還想學習,但我想這個時間,已經太晚了啊。

 

(師曠)回答。

這個時間,你認為已經太晚了嗎,你可以點蠟燭啊。

 

國王回答。

你開玩笑嗎。我說的是我的年紀太大,我的意思不是現在的時間已經晚上了。

 

(師曠)回答。

我怎麼敢跟你開玩笑呢。你是我們王國的國王而我只是一個瞎子啊。

我會這樣說是因為我聽說過,

 

一個人在青少年時學習,他獲得的好處就像初升的太陽。

一個人在中年時學習。他獲得的好處就像中午的太陽。

一個人在晚年時學習,他獲得的好處就像晚上點了一根蠟燭。

 

盡管蠟燭的光線不如太陽明亮,

但在當我們在黑暗中行走時,只要點燃一根蠟燭就可以讓我們看清楚前方的路。

 

國王點頭說。

你說得很對,我就開始學習。

 

這句成語被用來提醒我們只要願意學習,年齡永遠不是問題。

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你現在幾歲了呢?你是否給自已許多理由拖延學習的計畫呢?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。


出處說苑-建本


精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...