6/12/2021

I stand outdoors and watch the moon(顯處視月) / I stand in front of the window and watch the sun(牖中窺日)

 

I stand outdoors and watch the moon(顯處視月) / 

I stand in front of the window and watch the sun(牖中窺日)

 

During the Eastern Jin Dynasty in China, there were two celebrities, one named (Chu Jiye) and the other named (Sun Anguo).

 

One day, the two of them were talking.

 

(Chu Jiye) said.

You were born in the north of China.

I think the scope of your learning knowledge is very broad.

You are accustomed to learning all kinds of knowledge from a macro perspective.

 

(Sun Anguo) answered.

You were born in the south of China.

I think the scope of your learning knowledge is very specific,

You are accustomed to learning a single piece of knowledge from an in-depth perspective.

 

There was a famous monk at that time, his name was (Zhi Daolin).

 

He expressed his views after hearing this conversation.

He says

 

I agree with their comments, but I think many people will not be able to understand the difference between the two.

 

Let me give two examples.

 

I think people in northern China study knowledge like a person standing outdoors and looking at the bright moon. He has a wide field of vision but lacks a specific subject.

 

People in southern China study knowledge like a person standing indoors looking at the bright sun from a window. He has a dedicated subject but his vision is limited.

 

The meaning of this idiom is to metaphor a person’s approach to knowledge research is extensive and not focused.

The meaning of this idiom is to metaphor a person's way of studying knowledge is focused and not extensive. .

 

Dear friend, what inspiration or thoughts did you have after hearing this story.

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of these two methods of researching knowledge? Which is your personal method of researching knowledge?

I hope this story will give you some new gains.

 


                                                此圖片來自維基百科


顯處視月(I stand outdoors and watch the moon) /

牖中窺日(I stand in front of the window and watch the sun)

 

中國的東晉時代,有兩個名士,一個的名字叫做(褚季野),另一個叫做(孫安國)

 

有一天,他們兩個人在對談。

 

(褚季野)說。

你出生在中國的北方。

我認為你們學習知識的範圍很廣博。

你們習慣於用宏觀的角度去學習各種不同的知識。

 

(孫安國)回答。

你出生在中國的南方。

我認為你們學習知識的範圍很專一,

你們習慣於用深入的角度去學習一種單一的知識。

 

當時有一個著名的僧人,他的名字叫做(支道林)

 

他聽到這一段對話後他表示了自已的觀點。

他說

 

他們的評論我很認同,但我想應該很多人會無法理解這兩者的差異到底為何。

 

我舉兩個例子。

 

我認為中國北方的人研究知識,就如同一個人站在戶外看著皎潔的月亮,他視野遼闊但卻缺乏專一的主體。

 

中國南方的人研究知識,就如同一個人站在室內從窗戶中看著明亮的太陽。他有專一的主體但視野受到限制。

 

這一句成語的意思是比喻一個人研究知識的方式廣博而不專注。

這一句成語的意思是比喻一個人研究知識的方式專注而不廣博。。

 

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你認為這兩種研究知識的方式的優點與缺點各為何?你個人研究知識的方式是哪一種呢?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為世說新語-文學

https://ctext.org/shi-shuo-xin-yu/wen-xue/zh

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...