11/01/2021

This thing is not easy(談何容易)

 This thing is not easy(談何容易)

 

During the Han Dynasty in China, there was a famous minister whose name was (Dongfang Shuo).

 

One day, a friend said to him.

You are so smart and capable but why haven't you been assigned an important position by the king.

If you have the opportunity, you should tell the king more of your opinion.

 

He smiled and told a story.

One day the king of the Wu Kingdom had a conversation with a strategist named (Feiyou).

 

Said the king.

You have been employed in my kingdom for three years, why did you not make any suggestions?

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

 

(Feiyou) answered.

I am willing to answer your questions. But I want to ask you first.

Which kind of words do you want to hear?

 

Based on my observations, I can give you some opinions that are of benefit to our kingdom, and I can give you some opinions that will help improve your personal morality.

 

But after you hear these opinions, you may be unhappy or even angry.

 

I can flatter you and say flattering things to you. These words will not help our kingdom, nor will they help you to improve your character.

 

But you will be very happy to hear these words and you will like me very much.

 

What kind of words do you want to hear?

Do you want to hear me persuade you or I flatter you.

 

Said the king.

I am willing to listen to your advice to me, because I want to make our kingdom better, and I want to improve my character.

 

(Feiyou) said a lot of exhortation to the king.

 

After hearing these words, the king happily accepted and corrected his bad habits.

 

Dongfang Shuo said the conclusion.

It is not easy to say the right words for different objects and at the right time.

 

 

This idiom is used to describe a thing that is not easy to do.

 

Dear friend, what inspiration or thoughts did you have after hearing this story.

Do you think the timing of persuading a person is important? Why do you think (Feiyou) has to wait until the king takes the initiative to ask him before he says his own suggestion?

I hope this story will give you some new gains.

 




                                                   此圖片來自維基百科





談何容易(This thing is not easy)

 

中國的漢王朝時代,有一個著名的大臣,他的名字叫做(東方朔)

 

有一天,有一個朋友對他說。

你是如此的聰明又能幹但為何你沒有被國王指派到重要的職位呢。

如果有機會你就要多跟國王說一些你的意見。

 

他笑著說了一個故事。

吳王國的國王有一天與一個名字叫做(非有)的策士對話。

 

國王說。

你受聘到我的王國已經三年,你為何沒有提出任何的建議呢。

你如果有任何想法,請你告訴我。

 

(非有)回答。

我很願意回答你的問題。但是我要先問你。

那一種話是你想聽的呢。

 

我可以根據我的觀察對你提出一些對我們王國有利益的意見,對你提出一些有助於提升你的個人品德的意見。

 

但是這些意見你聽到之後可能會不開心甚至會生氣。

 

我可以奉承你並對並對你說一些諂媚的話。這些話對我們王國並沒有幫助,也無助於你的品德的提升。

 

但是這些話你聽了會很開心而且會很喜歡我。

 

你想聽的話是哪一種呢。

你想聽我規勸你還是我諂媚你呢。

 

國王說。

我願意聽你規勸我的話,因為我想要讓我們王國變得更好,我想提升我的品德。

 

(非有)就對國王說了許多規勸的話。

 

國王聽了這些話也很開心的接受並且改正自已不好的習慣。

 

東方朔說結語。

就不同的對象,並且在適當的時間說合適的話,是很不容易的。

 

 

這句成語被用來形容一件事情並不容易做。

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你認為規勸一個人的時機是否重要呢?你認為為何(非有)要等到國王主動問他,他才說自已的建議呢?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為漢書-65-東方朔傳

https://www.arteducation.com.tw/guwen/bookv_3817.html

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...