4/28/2023

I want to leave a good reputation after my death(人死留名)

 

I want to leave a good reputation after my death(人死留名)

 

China was very turbulent in the period 907-960 AD.

Many kingdoms rose quickly and many kingdoms died quickly.

The first kingdom to be established during this period was the Houliang Kingdom.

 

There was an important general in the Houliang Kingdom, and his name was Wang Yanzhang.

He participated in the founding of the Houliang Kingdom and helped the founding king of the Houliang Kingdom win many battles.

 

He was illiterate and could not read, but he was very principled.

He adopted a saying as his motto.

The proverb means

A leopard leaves its beautiful fur after death, and a man leaves his good reputation after death.

 

When he was old, he was captured in a war with the Houtang Kingdom.

 

The king of the Houtang Kingdom knew that he was a loyal and brave general, so the king of the Tang Kingdom said to him.

I can keep you alive, I will not execute you, I hope you can join my kingdom, I want you to serve me.

 

he replied.

I have sworn allegiance to the Kingdom of Hou Liang, I will neither surrender nor serve you.

The King of Hou Liang has placed great trust in me, and I must not disappoint him.

If I do, I will be ridiculed by all Chinese as a disloyal person.

 

The war between the Houliang and Houtang kingdoms has lasted more than ten years, and I have been defeated by you today.

I beg you to sentence me to death as soon as possible. I don't want to live in the humiliation of being captured any longer.

 

After much lobbying, the king of the Later Tang Kingdom still couldn't convince him.

Soon after, he was killed.

But although he died, his reputation for loyalty, like the saying he often uttered, has been passed down and is remembered by many people in future generations.

 

This idiom means I want to leave a good name after my death

 

Dear friend, what kind of inspiration or thought do you have after hearing this story?

Do you think a person's reputation or life is more important? If you were him, would you surrender?

I hope this story can give you a new harvest.

 




                                             此圖片來自百度百科




人死留名(I want to leave a good reputation after my death)

 

 

中國在西元907-西元960年這段期間內非常動亂。

很多王國快速興起,很多王國又快速消亡。

這段時間中,第一個建立的王國就是後梁王國。

 

後梁王國有一個重要的將軍,這個將軍的名字叫做王彥章。

他參與了後梁王國的建立,他協助後梁王國的開國國王贏得了許多的戰役。

 

他沒有讀書,他是個文盲,但是他很有原則。

他把一句諺語當作自已的座右銘。

這句諺語的意思是

豹死了之後會留下牠那美麗的毛皮,人死了之後會留下他那美好的名譽。

 

他年老時,在一場與厚唐王國的戰爭中,他被俘虜。

 

厚唐王國的國王知道他是一個忠誠又勇敢的將軍,所以唐王國的國王對他說。

我可以讓你活著,我不會處死你,我希望你可以投入我的王國,我希望你為我效力。

 

他回答。

我已經宣誓效忠於後梁王國,我不會投降也不會投效你

後梁王國的國王非常的信任我,我不可以辜負他的信任。

我如果這樣做,那麼我會被全中國人的恥笑我是一個不忠誠的人。

 

後梁王國與厚唐王國之間的戰事延續了超過十年,我今天被你打敗。

我請求你盡速判我死刑,我不願意繼續活在這被俘虜的屈辱之中。

 

後唐王國的國王經過多次的遊說仍然無法說服他。

不久後,他就被殺了。

但是他雖然死了,但是他忠誠的名聲,就如同他常說的那句諺語一樣流了下來,他被後代很多人所紀念。

 

這句成語的意思是我要在我死後留下美好的名

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你認為一個人的名譽與生命何者更重要呢?你如果是他你會投降嗎?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為新五代史-32-死節傳-王彥章傳

https://ctext.org/wiki.pl?if=gb&chapter=790583

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...