7/19/2023

A person who curry favor with the powerful(攀龍附鳳)

 

A person who curry favor with the powerful(攀龍附鳳)

 

During the period from 907 AD to 960 AD, China was very turbulent for more than 50 years.

Many kingdoms rose quickly, and many kingdoms died quickly. This period is called the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms.

 

During this period, there was a famous official in Houtang Kingdom, and his name was Wang Sitong.

History books record a story about him.

 

In 933 AD, the king of the Houtang Kingdom passed away. His son took over as the new king.

In order to consolidate his power, the new king ordered the military power of each state to be transferred to the central government.

The king's brother didn't want his military power to be taken back, so the king's brother assembled the army to launch a military coup.

 

The king's brother's army won the victory, and Wang Sitong was captured.

 

The king's brother said to Wang Sitong.

You led the government army against my army and you caused many casualties in my army.

But I decided to spare you, because I think you are a brave and loyal general.

As long as you are willing to be loyal to me, I will restore your position and power.

 

My younger brother, who listened to the advice of some foolish ministers and caused his own defeat, has fled the capital. If you are a wise man, you should surrender and serve me.

 

His expression was calm, and he answered the king.

I have sworn allegiance to our kingdom and king.

I have held an important position in the central government of the Houtang Kingdom for decades, but I am ashamed. I don’t think I have made any significant contributions. I regret that I have no way to repay the successive kings who valued me.

 

There is a phenomenon in today's society.

 

If a person flatters the rich and powerful, there will be many benefits, but if a person helps the weak, he will suffer disasters for himself.

I understand these reasons, but I still don't want to be a person who violates my conscience, because I'm afraid that after I die I'll see those dead kings of our kingdom in the underworld.

 

After I was captured by you, I was mentally prepared to be killed.

Don't persuade me any more, I won't surrender.

 

This idiom describes a person who flatters the powerful.

 

Dear friend, what kind of inspiration or thought do you have after hearing this story?

If you were in his place, what choice would you make? How do you judge those who like to curry favour with the powerful?

I hope this story can bring you a new harvest.




                                          此圖片來自百度百科


 

攀龍附鳳(A person who curry favor with the powerful)

                                      

 

中國在西元907-西元960年這段期間內,50多年的時間非常動亂。

很多王國快速興起,很多王國又快速消亡。這段時間被稱為五代十國。

 

這段期間的後唐王國有一個著名的官員,他的名字叫做王思同。

歷史書上記載了一個他的故事。

 

西元933年,後唐王國的國王過世。他的兒子接任成為新的國王。

新的國王為了鞏固自己的權力所以下令把各個州的軍事權力收歸中央政府。

國王的哥哥不願意自已的軍事權力被收回,所以國王的哥哥集結軍隊發動軍事政變。

 

國王的哥哥的軍隊贏得勝利,王思同被俘虜。

 

國王的哥哥對王思同說。

你帶領政府軍抵抗我的軍隊,你造成我的軍隊中有很多士兵傷亡。

但我決定饒恕你,因為我認為你是一個勇敢又忠誠的將領。

只要你願意對我忠誠,我就恢復你的職位與權力。

 

我的弟弟他聽信了一些愚昧的大臣的意見所以造成他自已的失敗,他已經逃離首都,你如果是聰明人,你就應該投降並且為我效力。

 

他的表情很冷靜,他回答國王。

我曾經宣誓對我們的王國與國王效忠。

我這幾十年來都在後唐王國的中央政府中擔任重要職位,但我很慚愧,我認為我沒有很顯著的功勞,我很遺憾沒有辦法報答那些重視我的歷任國王。

 

現在的社會上存在一種現象。

一個人如果巴結權貴就會有很多的好處,一個人如果扶助那些弱小的人就會為自已遭來禍害。

這些道理我理解,但我還是不願意做一個違背自已良心的人,因為我擔心我死了之在陰間見到我們王國中那幾位死去的國王阿。

 

我被你俘虜之後,我已經做好了被殺的心理準備。

你不要再勸我了,我不會投降。

 

這句成語的意思是形容一個人巴結權貴。

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你如果是他,你會做何選擇呢?你如何評價那些喜歡巴結權貴的人呢?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為舊五代史-65唐書-王思同列傳

https://zh.wikisource.org/wiki/%E8%88%8A%E4%BA%94%E4%BB%A3%E5%8F%B2/%E5%8D%B765

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...