11/26/2023

Fan Ying (樊英/季齊)

 

 

Fan Ying (樊英)(AD?-AD?)

 

His surname is (Fan) and his parents gave him the name (English). When he was growing up, his friends called him (Jiqi). He was born in Henan Province, China.

 

It means cage. It means fence. It is also one of the Chinese family names.

It means flower. It means essence. It is also one of the Chinese surnames.

It means the youngest of several brothers. It is also one of the Chinese surnames.

It means neat. It means complete.

 

He was a famous scholar in the Eastern Han Dynasty, and he was also an expert on the Book of Changes.

There is a story about him in the history books.

 

The king at that time always wanted to appoint him as an official in the central government in the capital, but he refused the king's requests.

 

One day, the king said to the mayor of the city where Fan Ying lived.

I don't care what method you use, you must let (Fan Ying) come to the capital to see me. If you fail to do so, I will punish you in the most severe way.

 

After receiving the king's order, the mayor begged (Fan Ying).

A few weeks later, Fan Ying said to the mayor

Because of your request, I will go to the capital to see the king.

 

Fan Ying arrived in the capital and entered the palace.

When he saw the king, he did not bow to him, as was the custom at that time.

 

The king said to him.

Why are you so proud? Why don't you salute me?

Don't you know that I am the supreme leader of the Han Dynasty?

Your life and death are in my hands.

I can make you a person who is immediately respected by others, or I can make you a person who is despised by others. I can make you a very rich man in no time, or I can make you a very poor man in no time.

You should show me respect and awe.

 

He said to the king with a smile.

My life and death are not in your hands; my life and death are in God's hands. It was God's will that I should be born, and it would be God's will if you killed me.

I live in the countryside every day, I am an upright person, I have taught many students, and I have never been looked down upon by others.

I defend my own values and do not lose my principles because of threats from others, so the people around me respect me very much.

I rely on my ability to earn money to support myself and my family. I am very satisfied. Too much money means nothing to me.

I live a comfortable life every day. I think it is more important to follow my ideals than to buy expensive food. I never feel poor.

 

I really don't want to be a central government official. I agreed to come to the palace to see you because I want to tell you in person that we have different goals in life. Please don't force me any more.

 

After hearing his words, the king stopped forcing him to serve as a central government official.

 

Dear friend, what inspirations or thoughts do you have after listening to this story?

If you were a king, how would you react after hearing these words? What are the most important values in your life?

I hope this story can give you some new insights.

 



                                           圖片來自百度百科



樊英(Fan Ying)(西元?-西元?)

 

他的姓是()他的父母給他取的名字是(),長大後朋友稱呼他的名字是(季齊),他出生地位於在中國的河南省。

 

意思是籠子的意思。意思是籬笆的意思。也是中國人的姓氏之一。

意思是花的意思。意思是精華的意思。也是中國人的姓氏之一。

意思是幾個兄弟中,年紀最小的那一位。也是中國人的姓氏之一。

意思是整齊的意思。意思是齊全的意思。

 

 

他是東漢王朝一個著名的學者,他也是一個易經的專家。

歷史書上記載了一個他的故事。

 

當時的國王一直想要聘任他到首都的中央政府擔任官員,但他拒絕國王的這些國請求。

 

有一天,國王對樊英所居住的城市的市長說。

我不管你用什麼辦法,你一定要讓(樊英)到首都見我。如果你達不成這個任務,我就會用最嚴厲的方式懲罰你。

 

這個市長收到國王的命令後就苦苦哀求(樊英)

幾個禮拜後,樊英對市長說。

因為你的懇求所以我會去到首都見國王。

 

樊英到了首都,他進了皇宮。

他看到國王時,他沒有按照當時的禮節去向國王行禮。

 

國王對他說。

你為何如此驕傲呢?你為何不跟我行禮呢?

你難道不知道我是漢王朝最高領導者嗎?

你的生死掌握在我的手中。

我可以讓你立刻成為一個被別人尊敬的人,也可以讓你成為一個被別人瞧不起的人。我可以立刻讓你成為一個非常有錢的人,也可以讓你立刻成為一個非常貧窮的人。

你應該對我表示尊敬與敬畏。

 

他微笑地告訴國王。

我的生死不是掌握在你的手中,我的生死乃是掌握在神的手中。我出生的神的意思,我如果被你殺了也是神的意思。

我每天活在鄉下,我是一個正直的人,我教導了很多學生,我從來沒有被別人瞧不起。

我捍衛自己的價值觀,我不因為別人的威脅就失去自己的原則,因此我周圍的人都非常尊敬我。

我憑藉我的能力賺錢養活自己與家人,我很知足,過多的金錢對我並沒有意義。

我每天都活得很自在,我認為追求自己的理想筆昂貴的食物更重要,我從來不覺得的自己貧窮。

 

我真的不想要擔任中央政府的官員,我會答應要來皇宮見你,是因為我想親口對你說,我們有著不同的人生目標,請你不要再勉強我了。

 

國王聽完他說的話後就沒有再勉強他出任中央政府的官員。

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你如果是國王,你聽到這些話後會有什麼反應呢?你生命中最重要的價值觀是什麼呢?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為後漢書-82

https://zh.wikisource.org/wiki/%E5%BE%8C%E6%BC%A2%E6%9B%B8/%E5%8D%B782%E4%B8%8A

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...