12/01/2023

He gives food to others, but his attitude is not good. He makes the person who receives the charity feel insulted.(嗟來之食)

 

He gives food to others, but his attitude is not good. He makes the person who receives the charity feel insulted.(嗟來之食)

 

In the Han Dynasty of China there was a very ordinary man. His name was Le Yangzi.

Because of his wife, his name was recorded in the history books.

 

In the history books there is a story about him and his wife.

One day he came home with a smile on his face and his wife asked him with a smile.

You seem to be in a good mood today. You look very happy. Has anything good happened to you today?

 

He said to his wife.

When I went out today, I was walking along the road alone and suddenly I saw a piece of gold on the ground in front of me.

This very valuable piece of gold is now in my pocket.

 

When Le Yangzi's wife heard what he said, her smile disappeared and she said to him seriously

 

I have read some ancient classic books, and it is written in those classic books.

A person who has ideals for his life will not share the same source with a robber.

A person who insists on his own moral character will not accept rude treatment from others.

 

I think you are a person with ideals and moral character, that's why I like you and marry you.

But your behaviour today, taking this piece of gold lost by others as your own, cannot win my respect.

 

He felt ashamed when he heard these words from his wife.

He immediately returned to the place where he had picked up the piece of gold and put it back in its place.

 

 

Another day his mother was cooking a chicken.

His wife said to his mother at dinner that night.

Why are you cooking a chicken today? A chicken is very expensive and we only eat chicken during Chinese New Year.

 

His mother whispered to him and his wife.

Today I noticed that a chicken I had never seen before suddenly appeared in our garden.

It was said that the chicken ran from our neighbour's yard to ours.

I killed the chicken that suddenly appeared in our yard.

 

 

His wife burst into tears when she heard what his mother had said.

 

his mother curiously asked his wife.

Why are you crying? Don't you like chicken?

 

His wife said to his mother.

I'm crying because I'm sad that your son and I are so incompetent that we don't earn much money.

We can't let you eat chicken very often, so you did this immoral thing today.

 

Said his mother after listening to his wife.

I felt so ashamed that I shouldn't have taken someone else's chicken as my own.

 

This idiom is used to describe a person who gives food to others, but his attitude is not good and he makes the recipient feel insulted.


Dear friend, what inspirations or thoughts do you have after listening to this story?

If you found a lot of money, what would you do with it? Have you ever done something dishonest that made you feel ashamed?

I hope this story can give you some new insights.

 




                                          圖片出自於維基百科


嗟來之食(He gives food to others, but his attitude is not good. He makes the person who receives the charity feel insulted.)

 

中國的漢王朝有一個很平凡的人,這個人的名字叫做樂羊子。

因為他的妻子的緣故,所以他名字才被記錄在歷史書上。

 

歷史書上記載了一個他與他的妻子的故事。

有一天,他滿臉笑容地回到家,他的妻子笑著問他。

你今天看起來心情很好,你看起來非常喜悅,你今天發生了甚麼好事嗎?

 

他對他的妻子說。

我今天出門的時候,我一個人走在路上,我突然看到前面的地上有一塊黃金。

這塊非常有價值的黃金現在就在我的口袋中。

 

樂羊子的妻子聽完他說的這些話後,他的妻子的臉上收起了笑容,他的妻子很嚴肅的對他說。

 

我看過一些古代的經典書籍,這些經典書籍中寫著。

一個對自己的人生有理想的人不會與一個強盜一起共用一個水泉。

一個對自已的品德有堅持的人不會接受別人不禮貌的對待方式

 

我認為你是一個有理想而且有品德的人,所以我才喜歡你我才嫁給你。

但是你今天把這塊別人丟失的黃金據為己有的行為,並沒有辦法贏得我的尊敬。

 

他聽到自己的妻子的這些話後他覺得很慚愧。

他立刻回到自已撿到這塊黃金的地方並且把那一塊黃金放回原處。

 

 

還有一天,他的媽媽煮了一隻雞。

當天晚上吃晚餐的時候,他的妻子對他的媽媽說。

為何你今天會煮一隻雞呢?一隻雞是非常昂貴的,我們只在過年才會吃雞。

 

他的媽媽小聲地對他與他的妻子說。

我今天發現我們家的院子裡突然出現的一隻我沒看過的雞。

這隻雞應該是從我們鄰居的院子裡跑到我們院子中來的。

我把這隻突然出現在我們家裡的院子的雞起來殺了。

 

他的妻子聽完他的媽媽的話後,就流下了眼淚。

 

他的媽媽很好奇地問他的妻子。

你為要哭呢?你不喜歡吃雞嗎?

 

他的妻子對他的媽媽說。

我哭泣是因為我很難過,你的兒子與我的能力太差,所以我們沒有賺到很多的金錢。

我們沒有能力讓你常常吃到雞肉,所以妳今天才會做出這一件不道德的事情。

 

他的母親聽完他的妻子說的話後說。

我感到非常的羞愧,我不應該把別人的雞據為己有。

 

這句成語被用來形容一個人施捨食物給別人,但他的態度不好,他讓這個接受施捨的人覺得受到了污辱。


親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你如果撿到很多錢,妳會怎樣處理這些錢嗎?你曾經做過那些令妳覺得羞愧的不誠實的行為嗎?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為後漢書-84-列女傳

https://www.arteducation.com.tw/guwen/bookv_3953.html

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...