12/01/2023

You must study seriously (斷織勸學)

 

You must study seriously (斷織勸學)

 

There was a very ordinary man in the Han Dynasty of China. His name was Le Yangzi.

Because of his wife, his name was recorded in the history books.

 

The history books tell a story about him and his wife.

 

After he had been married to his wife for several years, he felt that he did not know enough, so he wanted to go to the capital to learn more.

 

He discussed the idea with his wife, who was delighted.

I think it's great that you have the enterprising spirit to learn, and I support your decision.

 

A few weeks later, he left his hometown to study in the capital.

 

One day a year later, he suddenly returned home.

As he entered the house, his wife was working at her loom.

His wife looked surprised to see him.

 

Said his wife.

Why did you suddenly come home? How are things going with your studies in the capital?

 

he smiled at his wife.

The teachers and classmates at the school in the capital are very good to me, and I live a full life every day.

The reason I came home suddenly is because I haven't seen you for a long time, so I miss you very much, so I took a special leave of absence to come back and see you.

 

His wife stopped smiling when she heard his answer.

His wife took out a pair of scissors from beside the loom and cut off the half-woven satin on the loom.

 

He asked his wife, startled by her behaviour.

Why have you suddenly behaved like this?

 

Said his wife earnestly.

To weave this piece of satin, I first have to breed silkworms and then take the silk from the cocoons.

Then I put the silk on the loom and spin it slowly. It takes me a long time to complete a piece of satin that can be used to make clothes.

I now cut the unfinished piece of satin in two. All my efforts so far have been in vain.

 

His wife paused before continuing.

To study in the capital, you spent a lot of money and time.

You should motivate yourself to work hard every day and concentrate on your studies.

Why did you suddenly take a holiday and come back just because you missed me?

 

It takes weeks to travel back from the capital, and after a few days at home, you'll have to travel a long way to go back to school in the capital.

If you make this decision often in the future, when do you think you will graduate, when will you finish your studies?

 

I'm touched that you came back to see me because you missed me, but I think your behaviour was wrong.

I cut off a piece of silk because I want to remind you through an action to study seriously.

 

When he heard what his wife had said, he felt very ashamed.

He said to his wife.

I am lucky to have a good wife like you. I will go back to school and study hard. I will remember what you told me.

 

He went back to school in the capital. Seven years later, after completing his studies and becoming a knowledgeable and moral person, he returned to his hometown to be reunited with his wife.

 

This idiom is used to encourage a person to study hard.

 

Dear friend, what inspirations or thoughts do you have after listening to this story?

If you were him, would you be willing to listen to your wife's opinion? Do you think you know enough?

I hope this story can give you some new insights.

 




                                     此圖片來自維基百科



斷織勸學(You must study seriously)

 

中國的漢王朝有一個很平凡的人,這個人的名字叫做樂羊子。

因為他的妻子的緣故,所以他名字才被記錄在歷史書上。

 

歷史書上記載了一個他與他的妻子的故事。

 

他與他的妻子結婚了幾年後,他覺得自己的學問不夠,所以他想要到首都學習更多知識。

 

他與他的妻子討論這個想法,他的妻子很開心地對他說。

我認為你有想要學習的進取心非常的好,我支持你的決定。

 

幾週後,他離開家鄉到首都去學習。

 

一年後的某一天,他突然回到他家。

他走進他家的時候,他的妻子正在紡織機前工作。

他的妻子看到他就露出驚喜的表情,他的妻子問他。

你為何突然回家,你在首都的學習情況好嗎?

 

他笑著對他的妻子說。

首都的學校的老師與同學都對我很好,我每天過得很充實。

我突然回來家裡的原因是因為我很久沒有看到妳了所以我很想你,因此我特別請假回來看妳。

 

他的妻子聽到他的回答後,他的妻子收起笑容。

他的妻子從紡織機旁拿出一把剪刀,他的妻子把織布機上織到一半的綢緞剪斷。

 

他被他的妻子的行為嚇了一跳,他問他的妻子。

妳為何突然做出這種奇怪的行為呢?

 

他的妻子很嚴肅地對他說。

為了織這一塊綢緞,我必需先養蠶,然後從蠶繭中取出蠶絲。

我接著要把蠶絲放在紡織機上慢慢的紡織,我為了完成一塊可以用來做成衣服的綢緞需要花費很多時間。

我現在把這塊尚未完成的綢緞剪成兩塊,我先前的努力等於都是白費了。

 

他的妻子停頓了一下然後接著說。

你為了到首都去念書,你花了很多錢與很多時間。

你應該每天激勵自己要持續的努力,你應該專注的學習。

你怎麼會因為想我就突然請假回來呢?

 

你從首都回來的路程要好幾個禮拜,你在家裡住幾天後,你又要花好的路程才能路程才能回到首都的學校。

如果你之後又常常做出這種決定,你認為你何時才會畢業呢,你何時才會完成你的學習呢?

 

我很感動你因為想我所以回來看我,但我認為你的行為錯了。

我剪斷塊絲綢是因為我想要藉著個行動提醒你要認真地學習。

 

他聽完他的妻子的話後,他感覺非常的羞愧。

他對他的妻子說。

我很幸運,遇到妳這麼好的妻子,我會回到學校,並且認真學習,我會記得妳說的話。

 

他再度回到首都的學校,七年後,他學習完成,他成為一個有知識有道德高尚的人後,他才回自己的家鄉與他的妻子團聚。

 

這句成語被用來勉勵一個人要認真學習。

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你如果是他,你願意聽從你的妻子的意見嗎?你認為你的知識已經非常足夠了嗎?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為後漢書-84-列女傳

https://www.arteducation.com.tw/guwen/bookv_3953.html

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...