3/30/2024

I didn’t kill him directly, but his death was related to me. I killed him indirectly. (我不殺伯仁但伯仁由我而死)

 

I didn’t kill him directly, but his death was related to me. I killed him indirectly. (我不殺伯仁但伯仁由我而死)

 

There was a famous minister in the Eastern Jin Dynasty of China, his name was Zhou Yi.

There is a story about him in the history books.

 

He has a good friend. This good friend is called Wang Dao. Wang Dao is the Prime Minister of the Eastern Jin Kingdom.

Wang Dao's cousin is called Wang Dun, and Wang Dun controls the most powerful army in the Eastern Jin Kingdom.

 

In January 322 AD, Wang Dun launched a military coup because he was unhappy with the decisions of the Eastern Jin Kingdom's king. Wang Dun led his army to surround the capital.

 

Wang Dao said to Zhou Yi.

I and all my family disagree with Wang Dun's actions, and we are very loyal to the king.

You are someone the king trusts, and I hope you can help us intercede with the king.

If you don't help me, I think the king will think that I and everyone in my family are rebelling against him like Wang Dun, and I and everyone in my family will be killed.

 

After hearing Wang Dao's words, Zhou Yi did not make a verbal promise to Wang Dao, but he did privately intercede for Wang Dao and the Wang Dao family before the king.

 

Zhou Yi's behaviour caused Wang Dao to misunderstand.

Wang Dao believed that Zhou Yi had failed to help him and his family members when they faced a great crisis.

As a result, Wang Dao held a grudge against Zhou Yi.

 

In March of 322 AD, the army led by Wang Dun captured the capital of the Eastern Jin Kingdom.

The king of the Eastern Jin Kingdom was also forced to listen to Wang Dun.

Wang Dun became the de facto most powerful person in the Eastern Jin Kingdom.

 

Wang Dun said to Wang Dao.

I have taken control of the central government of the Eastern Jin Kingdom. Except for Zhou Yi and one other official, all the other officials in the central government have surrendered to me.

I know that you and Zhou Yi are good friends. How should I treat Zhou Yi?

Wang Dao said nothing, because he resented Zhou Yi for not helping him when his family was in great trouble.

 

Wang Dun said to Wang Dao, "If you have no objection, I will kill Zhou Yi.

Wang Dao still didn't speak.

Wang Dun ordered Zhou Yi to be killed.

 

A few months after Zhou Yi's death, Wang Dao learned from the king that Zhou Yi had spoken kind words for him before the king while he was still alive.

Wang Dao and all of his family were spared death in the early stages of Wang Dun's rebellion, all because of Zhou Yi's contribution.

Wang Dao was shocked when he discovered the truth and told his wife.

I did not kill Zhou Yi directly, but Zhou Yi's death was connected to me. I killed him indirectly.

Zhou Yi is my best friend, but I misunderstood him. My heart is full of regret.

 

This idiom is used to describe a person who indirectly kills another person.

 

Dear friend, what inspirations or thoughts do you have after listening to this story?

Have you ever misunderstood your best friend? Have you ever misunderstood someone and regretted it?

I hope this story can give you some new insights.

 



                                    圖片出處為百度百科




我不殺伯仁但伯仁由我而死(I didnt kill him directly, but his death was related to me. I killed him indirectly.

 

中國的東晉王朝有一個著名的大臣,他的名字叫做(周顗)

歷史書上記載了一個他的故事。

 

他有一個好朋友,這個好朋友的名字是王導,王導是東晉王國的宰相。

王導的堂哥的名字叫做王敦,王敦掌握東晉王國最強大的一支軍隊。

 

西元322年的一月,王敦因為不滿意東晉王國的國王的決策,因此發動軍事政變,王敦帶領軍隊包圍首都。

 

王導對周顗說。

我與我的家族中的所有人都不認同王敦的做法,我們對國王非常忠誠。

你是國王所信任的人,我希望你能幫我們向國王求情。

如果你不幫我,我認為國王會以為我和我們家族中的所有人都跟王敦一樣要反叛他,我與我的家族中的所有人都會被殺。

 

周顗聽到王導的話後,他沒有口頭承諾王導,但是他私底下在國王面前幫王導與王導家族中的人求情。

 

周顗的行為讓王導產生誤會。

王導認為周顗在他與他的家族成員面臨巨大危機的時候沒有幫他與他的家族成員。

王導因此對周顗產生了很大的怨恨。

 

西元322年的三月,王敦帶領的軍隊攻佔了東晉王國的首都。

東晉王國的國王也被迫要聽王敦的話。

王敦成為東晉王國實際上最有權力的人。

 

王敦對王導說。

我已經掌握了東晉王國的中央政府,中央政府內除了周顗與另外一個官員外,其他所有官員都已經對我表示臣服。

我知道你跟周顗是好朋友,你認為我應該怎樣對待周顗呢?

王導沒有說話,因為他的內心怨恨周顗在他的家族面臨巨大危機的時候沒有幫他。

 

王敦對王導說,如果你沒有意見,我會殺了周顗。

王導還是沒有說話。

王敦就下令把周顗殺了。

 

周以死了幾個月後,王導才從國王的口中知道,原來周顗在他生前曾經為他在國王面前說好話。

王導與他的家族中的所有人在王敦發動叛變的初期沒有被殺,都是因為周顗的功勞。

王導發現事實的真相後非常的震驚,他對他的妻子說。

我沒有直接殺死周顗,但是周顗的死卻與我有關,我間接的殺了他。

周顗是我最好的朋友但我卻誤會他,我的內心充滿悔恨。

 

這句成語被用來形容一個人間接的殺了另外一個人。

 

親愛的朋友,你聽完這個故事有怎樣的啟發或有怎樣的想法呢。

你曾經誤會你的好朋友嗎?你是否曾經誤會別人而事後覺得後悔呢?

我期待這故事能讓你產生一些新的收穫。

 

出處為晉書-列傳39-周顗傳

https://www.arteducation.com.tw/guwen/bookv_6646.html

精選文章

    I should take advantage of today and drink as much as I can until I get drunk.( 今朝有酒今朝醉 )   In the Yuan Dynasty in China, there wa...